The original Bates was opened in 1955 at Seven Mile and Beech Daly by Noble Bates. Noble and his wife, Laura, decided they wanted to pursue a hamburger business after managing IRA Wilson Diaries and multiple mom-and-pop style restaurants. On February 14, 1959, they opened the 5 Mile and Farmington location which is a well-know restaurant in Livonia, MI. The 9 Mile and Middlebelt location was opened a few years later in November 1976. In June 1962, John Bates and his wife, Barbara, began running the business.
Recently, in 2019, John Bates passed away and his wife Barbara still maintains ownership of both restaurants. John and Barb’s daughter, Laurie Johnston is the General Manager maintaining family involvement in the business. We serve freshly made hamburgers, coneys, french fries, and delicious chocolate shakes. We have stayed true to our product throughout the years and strive to serve a great-tasting burger that everyone enjoys!