Source: Cinema Treasures
Opened in 1966, the Northland Theater was designed by the firm of Ted Rogvoy, and located at the Northland Mall. This modernistic-style movie house with its unusually-shaped curving and upturned roof could seat nearly 1500. The first movie screened at the Northland was Hitchcock's "Torn Curtain". By the late 60s, the theater had become a 70mm roadshow house, including a year-long run of "Funny Girl". Both the Northland and Americana, also in Southfield, fiercely competed as roadshow houses for many years, and the Northland would end up usually showing the better films most of the time.
The large original auditorium was twinned in 1976. A decade later, AMC Theatres acquired the Northland, but only three years later, it was shuttered, due in large part to declining audiences and growing violence in and around the theater (a problem shared with the Americana as well in the late 80s). Today, after standing vacant for years, the former Northland operates as a mixed use live and movie venue, featuring East Indian entertainment, called the Millenium Theater.