Please note that location entries may feature older photos or post card views that may not represent the current appearance, features, addresses, phone numbers, or contact names of the attraction. This site is intended to be a historical as well as current record of various attractions but it is not always possible to have up-to-date information due to the vast number of locations featured here. We ask you consult the propietor for current information.
Gray's Opera House opened on March 8, 1870. Construction was begun in 1869 for the staggering sum of 22,000 dollars which is 2 million in today's dollars. The structure was built of sun dried bricks cast and wood harvested in the area. Gray's Opera House was financed by Hugh, Noah and James Gray whose descendents still gather in the building during the Christmas holiday. The building was designed by local architect, Oscar S Buel and was deemed by the Romeo Observer as the most elegant building in Macomb County, with gas lighting fixtures and plate glass imported from France.