Please note that location entries may feature older photos or post card views that may not represent the current appearance or features of the attraction. This site is intended to be a historical as well as current record of various attractions but it is not always possible to have up-to-date information due to the vast number of locations featured here. We ask you consult the propietor for current information.
AKA Bay, Bijou, Orpheum
Source: Cinema Treasures
Built as the Bijou in 1908, this former vaudeville palace added movies to its programming in the 1920s and was renamed the Orpheum. In 1930, C. Howard Crane was hired to gut and rebuild the interior of the theater which he did in an Art Deco/Mayan aesthetic. When it reopened under the W.S. Butterfield chain, the theater was renamed again as the Bay Theatre.
By the 1950's, the Bay was renamed again as the State Theatre and received a new marquee. The theater was later saved by the Friends of the State and is currently owned by the Bay City Downtown Development Authority. The theater's new owners have embarked on a massive renovation, with over $2 million in funds raised for the project.