From Michigan County Atlas
Four couples came to this area from Oakland County in 1837, and a dozen more families soon followed. The community church and octagonal schoolhouse were designed and built under the guidance of Rev. George Reynolds, the son of a pioneer settler. Farmhouses of Greek Revival design were constructed (several of the early structures remain). Mr. Reynolds served for many years as minister of the church, and was the first schoolteacher in 1850.