This is a clean, nice little town with lots of history, most notably the White Horse Inn which is one of the oldest restaurants in Michigan still operating. There is also the Metamora Inn which goes back to the 1800's. There are walking trails, a river and nature nearby. Once the location of the Detroit Girl Scout Camp which is now closed.
From Michigan Place Names
Lapeer County: Eber Barrows took up land and built an inn here in 1843; the first store was built in 1850. Price B. Webster became its first postmaster on Jan. 23, 1850. The office was closed on April 29, 1854, but the Etna post office was changed to Metamora on June 26, 1854. A station on the Detroit & Bay City Railroad; incorporated as a village in 1885. An Indian name meaning among the hills, or, in another version, the name of an Indian hero, son of Massasoit, in a play the east in the 1840s [Grove C. Morse; GSM 1860; Mich Hist 28: PO Archives]