From Michigan Place Names
Ionia County: the village began in 1854 with the lumber mill of Soule, Robinson & Company (Ambrose L Soule, Andrew Byron Robinson, and Rev. Isaac Errett). It was platted in 1857. on Sept. 12, 1857, Mr. Robinson became the first postmaster of Montrose Station, so named because some of the early settlers had come from Montrose, N.Y. Railroad superintendent, H. K. Muir, was instrumental in having the Detroit, Muskegon & Western (now Grand Trunk) Railroad come through the village and they renamed it for him on Feb. 15, 1859. Incorporated as a village in 1871, with Mr. Robinson as its first president.