Please note that location entries may feature older photos or post card views that may not represent the current appearance, features, addresses, phone numbers, or contact names of the attraction. This site is intended to be a historical as well as current record of various attractions but it is not always possible to have up-to-date information due to the vast number of locations featured here. We ask you consult the propietor for current information.
From the Website:
The Old Club on Harsens Island is an exclusive island resort and yacht club surrounded by the pristine, fresh water of the Great Lakes delta known as the St. Clair Flats. Generations of fortunate families have enjoyed boating, water skiing, fishing, freighter watching, and the camaraderie of friendships that last a lifetime. Members appreciate its proximity to the Metro Detroit area, making it an ideal destination close to home - yet so far away.
It all began just seven years after the end of the American Civil War when four Detroit sportsmen met in E. B. Smith’s bookstore in downtown Detroit in 1872, forming a hunting and fishing club. The club was available only by water with a regular ferry service which departed from the foot of Woodward. By 1890 the Great Lakes Steamer, Tashmoo (capable of carrying up to 4,000 passengers), began its service from Detroit to Port Huron, and the Club was one of its regular stops. In 1940, it finally became possible to reach The Old Club by car when the bridge connecting Harsen’s Island to The Old Club property was completed.
No bar anywhere on Lake St. Clair or the surrounding areas can match the panoramic views of The Old Club’s iconic River Bar. Fishers, Fords and Dodges have all saddled up at our bar over the years. Whether it’s watching a classic wooden runabout cruise by, or hearing the roaring sounds of an offshore racer – the River Bar is the perfect setting to imbibe in a cocktail or two. And in anticipation of our 150th anniversary next year, we’re excited to announce a completely remodeled and re-imagined River Bar.