From MI Blue Mag: Con Foster, a retired circus man and local Traverse City promoter, thought the idea of a miniature city would be an added attraction to Clinch Park, as well as put city employees to work. In 1931, with funds from the Works Progress Administration (WPA), city workers constructed scale models of Traverse City buildings, including the Park Place Hotel, St. Francis Church, Pere Marquette Railroad Station and others. The village featured over 100 buildings. Although barely waist high, every detail of construction was carefully executed, including color schemes, rooflines, windows and doors.
Where possible, the original blueprints were used. Such attention to detail was carried out even as stores in the downtown area were remodeled; their miniature counterpoints also were updated. Paved streets bisected the tiny town, a river wended through and a mechanically operated train ran on miniature tracks. The landscape of lawns and Japanese dwarf trees and shrubs was carefully nursed.
The mini city was a much beloved feature of Clinch Park from 1931 to 1973. Parts of the original model are on display at the Music House Museum in nearby Acme.